He has learned the schedule and adjusted to it, too. For example, he knows that in the evenings he gets to eat twice within the 2 hours right before bed (at 7 and 9 to be specific!), and he looks for that second bottle starting around 8:45, whereas during the day he goes 3 hours between feedings. He has started waking himself up right around 7:00 in the morning, which is what time I've been waking him up for the past week or so. He knows that when he gets swaddled in his crib and hears his white noise machine come on, it's time for bed (we don't do those things for naptime). He usually settles right down to sleep, and if anything, requires me to pat his chest a little to help him drift off. It's just amazing how he knows exactly what to expect
every day, and therefore so do we! It makes it really nice, too, because I know what time of day is ideal to run errands, when he will nap (so I can get some housework done or take a nap myself...oh, wait, I've literally only been able to do that TWICE since Devin was born!) and what time to give him his medicine so that he'll be hungry by the time he's waited the 30 minutes for it to kick in.
BY THE WAY--I know it looks like he's wrapped up in some sort of torture device in his crib, but I PROMISE you that he refuses to sleep unswaddled! Anyone that doesn't believe me is more than welcome to come and try to get him to sleep unswaddled. I've tried countless times and he just flails his arms around and wakes himself up! He's still just a little too jerky and uncontrolled, at least in his sleep, that if he's not restrained he wakes himself up! Research swaddling, though, if you think I'm being cruel...it's one of the oldest tricks in the books and Devin will tell you how much he hates it when I try to get him to sleep overnight without swaddling him. Napping in the swing unswaddled is one thing, but in his crib?? Forget it. :)
6 comments:
I love the Leming Blog!!!! I check it quite frequently for handsome pictures. That little green wrap looks like a straight jacket, did you borrow it from Great Grandma Church's closet (Ha Ha). Keep up the good work.
I love all that green!
Ashley-
I had to laugh when I read this post! My son Benjamin just LOVED being swaddled too! Once he became a little more squirmy it became a real challenge to keep him swaddled all night (he would also wake up if not swaddled.) I tried all sorts of tricks until I found those Swaddler blankets (they'd just come out when Benjamin was born!) and it worked great! We ended up swaddling him until he was 7 months old..and only stopped because I couldn't find a blanket big enough any more! Your Devin is just adorable!
That's my fear about swaddling...that he will need to have it done until he's 12 years old! I can see it now...he'll be going to sleepovers with a king-sized comforter and a rope and asking the other mom to tie him up before bedtime so he can sleep! :)
Hey I have a straight jacket missing, could be mine...
I saw Devin for the first time today and he was so cute.I got to hold him and he laughed at me.Cousin Emily
Post a Comment